top of page
Palm Trees


Types of Florida Alcohol Licenses

The Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco has several types of licenses available, depending on your type of business. Each license has a set of requirements and annual fees associated with it.


There are two major categories to understand when searching for a license. These are (PS) and (COP). 

  • Package Sales License (PS) - typically for grocery stores, liquor stores, and convenience stores. 

  • Consumption on or off premise (COP) - generally for bars and restaurants.

To help you get started, we have listed below a few types of licenses available throughout Florida:


This is one of the most basic and standard licenses available. A 1APS allows a store to sell beer. It only applies to packaged beer, so businesses will be unable to sell for on-premise consumption.


These Licenses are typically for grocery stores, convenience stores, and other retail stores. It allows a business to sell packaged wine and beer. Only valid for off-premise consumption.


Owning a 3PS license allows a business to sell all types of spirits, wine, and beer.

A 3PS license is strictly off-premise consumption.


This license allows for the sale of beer for consumption on-premise, as well as off-premise consumption. Customers can drink on-site. You will not be able to serve wine or spirits.


A 2COP includes wine and beer to your bar or restaurant. Your customers can purchase and consume both beer and wine for on-premise and off-premise consumption.


4COP licenses allow a bars or restaurants the ability to serve a complete menu of spirits, mixed drinks, wine, and beer.

Choosing the Alcoholic Beverage License for Your Business

There are no restrictions on the number of licenses issued to sell beer and wine in Florida. You can apply for one through the state and start serving your customers in no-time. However, there are annual fees and application fees for each new license issued.


If you want to sell liquor in the state of Florida, you will need a quota license. The number of available licenses are based on county population and can be won in an annual liquor license lottery or purchased and sold through a broker. 

So which license do you need for your business?

If your company only sells beer, then the 1APS or 1COP licenses are the the best options. However, you may want to consider a wider selection of beverages. These can bring in a larger consumer base and profit.


For those looking to sell liquor and mixed drinks at an establishment, the Quota license is your go-to license. One new quota license is made available when the population of a county increases by 7500 people. Bars and nightclubs that serve more than 49% of their gross sales in alcoholic beverages will require a quota liquor license. Quota licenses are also required by retail stores that sell liquor.

Restaurants and food service establishments that have 51% or more in food sales and non-alcoholic beverage may qualify for a special 4COP/SFS license. These are much less expensive and there are an infinite amount available through Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco.  However, there are strict guidelines and regulations including business/location size limit and seating capacity.

Additionally, these are broken down into subcategories of licenses, each have a set of rules and terms that may apply based on the type of business you own.

Contact Florida Liquor License Sales today and let us know what license you are considering for your business.

bottom of page